Wicked Lite

williammunny

Just dug this out of the basement. Haven't ridden it in years.

album.php

album.php

I built it from a frameset I bought from the shop I used to work at in the early 90s. I think I did the build in 1995, after returning from a climbing stint in Europe. I remember they were happy to sell it, as only the shop wrenches appreciated it. The customers just wanted "a Trek," which at that time was Trek : mountain bike :: Kleenex : tissue. Man, I remember it was a love/hate thing to work at what one loved, especially at that time, as mountain biking was going main stream and it was losing its cool fringe factor.

Serial #228W38
1993?
I think it's a 19.5" or M/L (I can't recall how they did sizing. I think they did center of BB to top of seat tube. But that measures somewhere between 18" and 19.5", so it's likely my recollection is wrong).

I built it from the typical former wrench's parts bin. From original build:
- derailleurs= Shimano XTR
- crankset= Shimano XT
- brakes= Suntour XC Pro
- shifters= Suntour XC Pro thumbshifters
- wheelset= Mavic 230 hoops on Shimano LX hubs
- pedals= Suntour XC Pro grease guard platform
- all cables/housing are original (didn't look to see what they are)
- Ringle bottle cage
- Onza bar ends
- Mountainsmith seat bag

A few years back, I thought I would revive the old ride. Didn't have a stem or handlebars. I think I built it with Syncros stem. Don't recall which bars. I remember pulling those for another build way back when... maybe a Wojick? So, I added new (at that time) Salsa stem and bars. Tires were totally dry rotted. I think they were Ritchey gumwalls. Replaced those with modern versions of Panaracer Dart/Smoke. The original Selle Italia Flite was long gone, so replaced that with a new one. Not sure about seatpost. I think it's original.

After the revival, it got stuck right back in a corner of the basement, and there it's sat. Came a across this site last year and finally got around to posting. Thanks for hosting and humoring my walk down memory lane.