1993 Wicked lite headset

TheWheel

Looking to switch out my original Shimano DX headset on my 1993 Wicked Lite. Its working perfect but always wanted a Chris King. I remember the head tube as a straight 1" diameter. Running a threaded control tech stem with Rock Shox Judy XC all original equipment. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20220618_145021.jpg
    20220618_145021.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 10

colker

Your set up is 1in threaded. If you go for a King you want a threadnut... more versatile than the gripnut. I would invest the money on something different like a tubeless wheelset or a rigid fork because those alter the ride experience. A headset either works or it doesn´t: it does not change how you feel the bike. Btw 1in deore dx headsets are now trendy or at least trendy in Europe.

TheWheel

I was thinking the DX is cool and made very well. It was shimano's weird offering of a heavier and more durable XT. (this was pre XTR). Yes on the wheels...I have a nukeproof front hub with FIR rim, and xtr rear hub with a bontrager assymetrical rim replacement. Might replace the rims to match visually.

Attachments

• Fat WL side 2021.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7

colker

Beautifull bike. I ride a wicked lite too and rebuilt my wheels recently w/wider tubeless rims (i ride in the desert and cactus thorns are all over) and 2.2 continental cross king + 2.25 schwalbe smart sam .

TheWheel

Yikes on the spikes! Running panaracers. Front is a new 2.1 dart, rear an NOS smoke lite 1.9. They work great on the new england trails. My rims are worn but true and no spoke "waves" but are 20+ years and would be fun to switch them out. What color/year is your WL

colker

Mine is 1993. FRame color is kandy wild cherry. Fork is purple like yours. It has the old wheels on this picture

Attachments

• fatchance.jpg
    fatchance.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 12