• All For Sale Adverts Must Have A Price !

'93 BuckShaver/ very rare

Mojo Troll

Hello All,

The time has come to sell my beloved Buckshaver. This is a rather rare frame. It was the 52nd one ever built, in the custom team violet paint. From my research the first year Buck was offered only in black or red? I could be mistaken. At any rate, this is a rather rare Fat.
Heres the specs:

Frame: 1993 Fat Chance Buckshaver Size: Med
Fork: 1998 Marzochhi Z 3 Light, coil/oil bath. 65 MM travel New oil and seals.
Headset: Chris King 1

Attachments

• Fat Chance 1.JPG
    Fat Chance 1.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Fat Chance 2.JPG
    Fat Chance 2.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Fat Chance 3.JPG
    Fat Chance 3.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 131
  • Fat Chance 4.JPG
    Fat Chance 4.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 38

lucifer

I can't believe no one has jumped on this yet. I would buy it if I didn't already have a medium buck. If for some reason it doesn't sell try parting it out, You might ultimately make more money that way.

Mojo Troll

I hear ya there lucifer.

I just seen a late model Yo frame only go for well over $500. With two days left and not even an opening bid, I'm starting to wonder. Hopefully some of the people watching will throw down the last day.

Heck, I've spent over 700 bucks this year alone on the new CK wheelset, CK HS and Thompson post. I realize I wont get all that back, but my opening bid and reserve are rather low.

Parting out will be considered if it does'nt sell.

scarrylarry

Your buck is sharp, my wife and I cant figure why nobody has bid on it. If it would fit any of us I would have made you an offer on it. Dont feel bad this bike didn't sell for $300
http://cgi.ebay.com/Wicked-Fat-Chan...tcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But I know this yo Sold for a $1000
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7212422225&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

I was gonna bid on it. It was my friends old bike, I told him about it and he knew where the pics where taken and called to buy his ride back.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mojo Troll

Thanks Larry,

I've actually advertised on several different mtn bike classifieds pointing towards the e bay sale. Ironically I've gotten more support from COGS and retro riders than I've gotten enquires and questions.

If it does'nt sell. I'm not even going to sweat it. Retro bikes are a very small niche these days. Appreciated by a select few. If it takes me 6 months to find a good home for this bike, so be it.

I hate to let it go, but Chris Chance and company build this frame to be ridden a lifetime. Not dust collecting art in a garage.

Like I said "Perhaps its something only a COG can understand". Thanks for the support. Pedal on my brother.

Bobby

Mojo Troll

DAYUMMMMM,

Two tours on the bay and not so much as a nibble. There were ten other Fats listed during mine. Whats up with that?

The one thing I can say is that I've received numerious e mails in support from varies people here on FatCogs, MTBR and e bay. Thanks to all.

schneidw

buckshaver

I can't believe this bike didn't create a bidding frenzy... it doesn't make sense to me at all.... On eBay durign the same time, a Yo Eddy frame (not pristine) sells for almost $500 and the Buckshaver fully maxed out w killer parts doesnt induce a bidding war... what gives? I don't know what the difference is between a Buckshaver and a Yo Eddy Frame (I guess very little) but I wonder if Fat City purists only want Yo Eddy frames?? I wish I had an answer for you

Doug Carter

Staff member
To the uninformed Fat fans, the Buckshaver still stands for the "low-end" Fat model that was sold with more "inexpensive" components. Regardless of the fact that the frame is still an awesome item, people will look down on the Buck for no good reason. Maybe the name itself has somethinig to do with it.

It's an oddity. I have owned a Yo Eddy and a Wicked Lite, and I enjoy the Wicked more. It's a nicer ride, in my opinion, but given the choice between a NOS Eddy and a NOS Wicked sitting next to each other, I'd probably grab the Yo. I know, it's silly, but that frame is iconic.

MojoTroll, I know you don't want to hear it, but the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. To most collectors or enthusiasts interested in bikes like this, the components are almost throwaways. I first look at the total sum of the value of the parts on it, and if they subtract from the total price of the bike, to equal a reasonable amount for the frame and fork, I consider it a good deal. I think many would consider this a frame purchase, and the rest of the parts "flippable" to the second-hand market. Buyers for this bike are going to want this to be more personalize to their tastes, using components of thier choice. That's just my opinion, though.

I do think there may be a few factors in the sale problems. One: large, clear and detailed photos will ALWAYS help in selling high-dollar items on the web. You might have been hurt by the lack of detailed close-ups. Two: I think there might have been a few scared off by the Team Fat Chance "Yo Eddy" decals on a BuckShaver. I think resprays and customizations that deviate from the factory norm (even if it was factory), might push a few serious buyers away.

Should you decide to part it out, and sell things individually, consider me interested in the frame on its own. If it falls into my price range, I'm looking to build up a daily rider that I won't be freaked out to get dirty and wet.

doug

lucifer

Here are the honest reasons I didn't buy it. Just for your information so maybe you can know where your customer is at.

There are basically only two glaring issues with the bike.
1. The paint has a lot of issues. It would definitely need a repaint if it was to be part of my collection. That adds a lot of expense.

2. The front wheel is laced in a manner I would never use on a ck hub, again I would have to put some work into it before riding.

While it does have nice parts they are a bit conservative for my taste, silver chris king is like white ralph lauren paint... quality but boring.

At $400- 500 I would probably be willing to take it on as a fixer upper That way I could have it the way I wanted for about $1000. At $800 or $900 as it sits it just isn't worth it to me.

I paid $350 for a perfect NOS 94 buck shaver frame last year. After the build it was right around $1000 using all new or nos parts.

Doug Carter

Staff member
Good point about the radially laced front. I was thinking that but didn't say anything.
redface.gif

I think the bike, with the history in the frame (it does have a bit of intrinsic value just based on the story), would need a respray, or would wind up in the category of daily beater. That's just me, though. I'd still buy the frame alone, but the components on the bike don't mean much to me, and the price tag as a complete bike makes it hard to justify.

Hard to sell a child and get what you believe it to be worth out of it. Been there, done that.
frown.gif

schneidw

Value of a Fat Chance

Doug and Lucifer... I can't speak for Mojo but I certainly appreciate your insights and candid evaluation especially because I am going to try and sell my M/L Yo Eddy in the next 2 weeks. Based on your comments and what I have observed on eBay I am going to sell my Yo Eddy as frame only although I would sell it whole if there was interest. As you pointed out on my previous post, my 93 M/L does have scratches and the bar end ding which I recognizes decreases its value... I saw recently that a M Yo Eddy frame sold for $455 which is more than I expect to receive and this frame that generated many bids isn't in much better condition than mine IMHO (see link below); I recognize most fat cogs have a few fat chances already and are only looking for pristine condition frames at this point... My hope is to find somebody who is simiilar to me that is happy w one fat that they are going to ride hard and not worry about cosmetics... We'll soon find out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7219082379&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mojo Troll

Its interesting to note the amount of low ballers that seem to e mail me after the auctions have ended. Perhaps they were hoping to score and part the bike out.

Ironically, its easy to decifer those of genuine intrest and support versues shall we say "others".

Perhaps Chris made the right decision by simply walking away.

AB

What's hard for me to grasp are the people who are using ebay as a career. Ebay like most things that become popular has lost the appeal that made it popular.

lucifer

Mojo Troll said:
Its interesting to note the amount of low ballers that seem to e mail me after the auctions have ended. Perhaps they were hoping to score and part the bike out.

Ironically, its easy to decifer those of genuine intrest and support versues shall we say "others".

Perhaps Chris made the right decision by simply walking away.

Which begs the question of why you don't part it out yourself?

Any decent 1" suspension fork should bring 100-150 on rarity alone.
The frame even needing a repaint 200-300
ck hubset or wheelset 300-500
ck headset used 60-70
29.4 post 40-50

Even if the rest went for peanuts you'd still be in the 700+ range

lucifer

schneidw said:
Doug and Lucifer... I can't speak for Mojo but I certainly appreciate your insights and candid evaluation especially because I am going to try and sell my M/L Yo Eddy in the next 2 weeks. Based on your comments and what I have observed on eBay I am going to sell my Yo Eddy as frame only although I would sell it whole if there was interest. As you pointed out on my previous post, my 93 M/L does have scratches and the bar end ding which I recognizes decreases its value... I saw recently that a M Yo Eddy frame sold for $455 which is more than I expect to receive and this frame that generated many bids isn't in much better condition than mine IMHO (see link below); I recognize most fat cogs have a few fat chances already and are only looking for pristine condition frames at this point... My hope is to find somebody who is simiilar to me that is happy w one fat that they are going to ride hard and not worry about cosmetics... We'll soon find out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7219082379&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

That is stupid high for a yo in that condition. I would think that buyers remorse is eminent....
The only weakness of these great old steel frames is that once rust takes hold its an absolute bitch to get rid of.

Yo Eddy!

Only rust I see is at the outside and that can be treated very well. Don't read or see anything on inside rust, except for that the frame is structural okay. Maybe the buyer informed hisself on this issue and does know more than we do.

What about NOS Yo's that sell for 800-900? Bought an NOS E-stay Panasonic MC-Comp yetserday. The Yo's are about 20 times more expensive, but are they also 20 times as good? Doubt whether they are only twice as good. Provide the Yo's 20 times more fun? You're kidding! Well, at least not for me. Value is in the eye of the beholder :)