Accu-Trax on a Yo

mattb

So, I'm not having any luck on the Yo fork search. I figured I'd give the Accu-trax a try. What do you think? I like the look personally but I'm going to need to ride it before I make up my mind. I almost convinced myself to go Mag-21 which I have but need a 1" threaded fork crown to fit a med. Yo. Anyway...

Attachments

• IMG_0511.jpg
    IMG_0511.jpg
    543.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0512.jpg
    IMG_0512.jpg
    497.9 KB · Views: 49

tvcreative

What the Fork?

Well, I think you have to have patience and a pocketbook to get a real YO fork, they show up on forums and ebay

you have to consider the year of your YO and suspension vs non suspension

I went thru lotsa' searches, and tried a lot of forks...

as posted in my most recent post, a suspension corrected 92 or newer YO does okay with a Kona Project 2 fork 410mm AtoC by 38mm offset available at Bikeman. As the frames evolved, I think they ended up being closer to a 420mm AtoC from 97 on...

other than that, I have tried a 400mm Tange fork on a 90 YO and it worked okay. I think the AtoC is really 390mm on that bike with a rake of 1.5 inches

the Tange fork worked better on a wicked, as I think the rake matched better.

There are several hundred posts on here that talk about the various try/fail attempts to match non FC forks to YO's and Wickeds...

I waited for 2 years to get my first YO fork. I had to pay out the backside but it finally matches my medium Grello YO. ($357 bucks on Ebay)

Looking at this all in perspective, I think it is far smarter to get one made from Igleheart (about $450 bucks). He was the man back at the factory, and he still makes them today out of better heat treated materials. I would have gotten it quicker, and I would have enjoyed my YO sooner.

I also know that there are several custom made forks avail out there including a nifty one that Teesdale makes for about 100 bucks less than an Igleheart.

As I stated earlier, patience is a virtue, but for me the gnawing and wanting a real fork made my FC's restorations incomplete.

They really do ride magically when properly matched. Maybe it's all in my head.

Bottom line is that you have to pounce when they show up on FLEABAY, and be prepared to pay.

The recent DC sale on the forum for a YO with a Fork was the deal of the year...

My point is that you have to check everyday, and hope that something comes to light.

Happy Thanksgiving!

mattb

Well, I think you have to have patience and a pocketbook to get a real YO fork, they show up on forums and ebay

you have to consider the year of your YO and suspension vs non suspension

I went thru lotsa' searches, and tried a lot of forks...

as posted in my most recent post, a suspension corrected 92 or newer YO does okay with a Kona Project 2 fork 410mm AtoC by 38mm offset available at Bikeman. As the frames evolved, I think they ended up being closer to a 420mm AtoC from 97 on...

other than that, I have tried a 400mm Tange fork on a 90 YO and it worked okay. I think the AtoC is really 390mm on that bike with a rake of 1.5 inches

the Tange fork worked better on a wicked, as I think the rake matched better.

There are several hundred posts on here that talk about the various try/fail attempts to match non FC forks to YO's and Wickeds...

I waited for 2 years to get my first YO fork. I had to pay out the backside but it finally matches my medium Grello YO. ($357 bucks on Ebay)

Looking at this all in perspective, I think it is far smarter to get one made from Igleheart (about $450 bucks). He was the man back at the factory, and he still makes them today out of better heat treated materials. I would have gotten it quicker, and I would have enjoyed my YO sooner.

I also know that there are several custom made forks avail out there including a nifty one that Teesdale makes for about 100 bucks less than an Igleheart.

As I stated earlier, patience is a virtue, but for me the gnawing and wanting a real fork made my FC's restorations incomplete.

They really do ride magically when properly matched. Maybe it's all in my head.

Bottom line is that you have to pounce when they show up on FLEABAY, and be prepared to pay.

The recent DC sale on the forum for a YO with a Fork was the deal of the year...

My point is that you have to check everyday, and hope that something comes to light.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks for the info, I'm going to wait for a real non suspension corrected Yo fork for it. In the mean time I'm going to go with a Mag 21. I will try the Accu-Trax though.

Happy Thanksgiving to you & everyone else here!

tvcreative

The other rule of thumb i would use on rigid fork length is that you want the Bottom Bracket Height to be roughly 11 7/8ths inches with 2.125 tires.

I could be wrong...but.

One other thing to remember - is that with a suspension, the BB height will be higher...

I would subtract .5 to .75 inches for sag to arrive at that 11 7/8ths number.

anybody else out there know something different?

Syborg

Try your Accu-Trax once and only once traveling with your Yo few kilometers. I drive this combination on a Wicked, a Buck Shaver and also on a Yo. I find the Accu-Trax travels more stable and have more directional stability as a Big One Inch or a Yo Eddy fork. Not to mention the better stability of it.

But no doubt the first choice on a Yo Eddy should always be an original Yo Eddy fork. Perhaps a Igleheart.

Greeting Helmut

colker

what's the fattest tire you can run on it? Oversized frames like the YO beg for big, fat tires. As long as the rake is teh same, you are very close to the original Yo fork, except for tire clearance.

mainlyfats

I always think of those old Yeti products as being kind of blunt instruments. Big ol' hunks of 4130 brute-force that will be around with the cockroaches, but lacking a little in the refinement department - something FCC made its stock and trade.

My vote would be to keep the fork for a Yeti project, or sell it to help finance an Igleheart.

nader

So, I'm not having any luck on the Yo fork search. I figured I'd give the Accu-trax a try. What do you think? I like the look personally but I'm going to need to ride it before I make up my mind. I almost convinced myself to go Mag-21 which I have but need a 1" threaded fork crown to fit a med. Yo. Anyway...
well based on pictures it might be a sc yo, in this case I would go with mag 21.
In the chance family the Accu-trax would fit just maybe at a Buck Shaver.
So the mag 21 is the first choice ;) ...I also had one

yo-eddy187s.jpg

IF52

i wonder why IF's rigid forks were always unicrown and never segmented.

This is a wild guess, but Steve Elms told me back in the day the reason for some of the detail differences between the original (95, 96) Deluxe and the Yo was because the IF boys didn't want to appear to be producing Yo knockoffs. So a) may have had something to do with that, and b) probably much less labor intensive to build uni than segmented.

colker

This is a wild guess, but Steve Elms told me back in the day the reason for some of the detail differences between the original (95, 96) Deluxe and the Yo was because the IF boys didn't want to appear to be producing Yo knockoffs. So a) may have had something to do with that, and b) probably much less labor intensive to build uni than segmented.

Early Deluxes had a smaller diameter top tube, much like a BUck.. as far as i can tell from pics.