Bottom Bracket spindle collars

wryte64

Can anyone tell me where I could get some bottom bracket spindle collars for my '87 kicker? I still ride it everyday as my commuting bike( with a few changes made to it) and one of my spindle collars is cracked at one of the screw points and being held on by just one. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

mainlyfats

I think I have one...

Can anyone tell me where I could get some bottom bracket spindle collars for my '87 kicker? I still ride it everyday as my commuting bike( with a few changes made to it) and one of my spindle collars is cracked at one of the screw points and being held on by just one. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

PM me your address and I'll put it in the mail.

markm

Better replacement....

I just put new spindle collars on my Fat Wicked this week...received them from Rody at www.groovycycleworks.com. One of the collars on my bike cracked same as yours...this was actually a terrible design--set screw design for an aluminum shaft collar--many people experience these cracking at one of the set screws. The collars from groovycycleworks are of a much improved design...a split collar with a pinch bolt...you tighten the bolt and the entire collar grabs securely onto the shaft...just like threadless stems, and many new cranks. A set for only $22 to your door.

Check out groovycycleworks.com -- very nice shop, blog, gallery of his hand made frames.

Mark

MikeyNYC

I just put new spindle collars on my Fat Wicked this week...received them from Rody at www.groovycycleworks.com. One of the collars on my bike cracked same as yours...this was actually a terrible design--set screw design for an aluminum shaft collar--many people experience these cracking at one of the set screws. The collars from groovycycleworks are of a much improved design...a split collar with a pinch bolt...you tighten the bolt and the entire collar grabs securely onto the shaft...just like threadless stems, and many new cranks. A set for only $22 to your door.

Check out groovycycleworks.com -- very nice shop, blog, gallery of his hand made frames.

Mark

Rody's collars do look really nice plus they come in silver or black.
Does anyone know a source for actual bottom bracket spindles?
There must be a source other than ebay, as well as a need for these given the sheer number of Fats out there...?

colker

Rody's collars do look really nice plus they come in silver or black.
Does anyone know a source for actual bottom bracket spindles?
There must be a source other than ebay, as well as a need for these given the sheer number of Fats out there...?

phil wood.

commander

lace

hi

i thought i would put this out there.

after my bike was "borrowed" from me....

i got it back with a shoe lace for a spindle collar.

it worked surprisingly well.
if you ever need a quick fix - that is what you use.

edit

and by the way ...

you know you are "supposed" to use loctite and no collars ....
that's how i always do it - my collars broke --- day one or something like that ....

Last edited:

jh4rt

phil wood.
If you order the spindles from Phil, better order the bearings too. I just sent a spindle back and ate a set of bearings, as the PW is larger in diameter, and the spindles only come in 119 or 123. Also, the PW bearings don't have the snap rings, press in farther. All-in-all, another learning experience, right?

Jcassano

Action Tech Spindle Collars

Mark

Don't buy Action Techs spindle collars if your using Cooks 176mm cranks, too big!!