Bottom Bracket Spindle Collars

rickstrong

Greetings All,

I'm sure this is a familiar theme. I have a 1986 Wicked Fat Chance, and as with many others one of the aluminum bottom bracket spindle collars has cracked. I had seen in a post several years ago that Rody Walter at Groovy Cycle Works sold replacement collars. Unfortunately, this is no longer the case. He suggested that I contact Chris Chance at the new Fat Chance website, and the support folks there suggested that I ask in one of the user groups :-/

Are there any sources of replacement collars or suitable substitutes?

picture.php

Jeeves

I'm not aware of any alternatives, although it's a really simple part. I wonder if Rody would be willing to share the measurements? I'm sure a machine shop could crank these out at a reasonable price if we wanted to do a run.

-Raj

one piece crank

The collar on my non-drive-side just split too. Bummer they are NLA.

However, back in the day, Cooks Bros used to offer BB's with a similar smooth spindle and collars. The cool set-up was to stack spacers on the drive-side, and use only one collar on the non-drive side. For the "factory" set-up, you would measure the non-drive-side spacing (as accurately as possible), then fit a spacer stack in place of the remaining collar. Viola - perfectly set-up, no-collar BB!

Last edited:

mobius911

I just installed the Ruland collars. They are indeed wider by 0.135". So between the two, they are over 1/4" wider. That essentially eliminates the ability to offset the spindle for chainline optimization.

The Rulands also have a larger OD and it appears that they may be able to contact the outer ring of the bearing- not a good thing. I'd be down for a set of remanufactured originals.

Mello Grello

Okay, so I need collars too, so I quickly designed these ones up.

They use an M3 cap screw, ID is 17.05, OD is 31.8mm, and thickness is 8mm. There's a 2mm x 0.5mm shelf so that it only contacts the inner race.

What do you guys think, design-wise? Does it need to be beefier?

Attachments

• SpindleCollar01.jpg
    SpindleCollar01.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 29
  • SpindleCollar03.jpg
    SpindleCollar03.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 12
  • SpindleCollar02.jpg
    SpindleCollar02.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 14

mobius911

I like it. Only question is whether there is enough meat around the screw. You've designed it with a bigger OD so that should help.

one piece crank

Easiest solution is to ditch the collars all together, and go stacked washers just like 1980's Cook Bros. bottom brackets. I just split a collar on my Wicked and this is exactly what I'll be doing...

one piece crank

I finally suffered a double collar failure, so I ordered up some stainless precision washers to fill the gap. As mentioned above, back in the day this was an inside trick to avoid using collars and allow fine chain-line adjustment.

Attachments

• Fat_Collars2.jpg
    Fat_Collars2.jpg
    406.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Fat_Collars1.jpg
    Fat_Collars1.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited: