Head Tube Size

mzkate

I have a 98 Yo Betty. Question about the head tube. I have a Marzocchi z2 Atom Bomb. I took it into my local bike shop and they told me getting a new suspension fork is impossible because the bike has a 1" head tube.

BUT on Fatfans.de I found this--which appears to be from the 1998 catalog: The custom triple butted, 4130 Chrome-moly tubeset they use in their Betty! is designed by Chris Chance and drawn exclusively for Fat City by True Temper Sports. The tube specs and diameters vary depending on the size, but all frames are built for 26" wheels, 1 1/8" headsets, 1 1/4" front derailleurs and 29.4mm seatposts. These frames are engineered for lighter riders and feature the precise performance and durability for which all Fat Chances are known.

Could someone please clarify what I can or cannot use on this bike?

Also, am I better off just sending off the fork to get refurbished?

mainlyfats

If someone who works in a bike shop actually had the bike in their hands and told you have a 1 inch headtube, you have a 1 inch headtube.

You may have an older frame sold in 98. Serial number may help.

Lots of folks seem to find, or repair/rebuild better than new 1 inch forks all the time.

http://www.hippietechsuspension.com/HTS/HOME.html
http://shockspital.com/

I have a 98 Yo Betty. Question about the head tube. I have a Marzocchi z2 Atom Bomb. I took it into my local bike shop and they told me getting a new suspension fork is impossible because the bike has a 1" head tube.

BUT on Fatfans.de I found this--which appears to be from the 1998 catalog: The custom triple butted, 4130 Chrome-moly tubeset they use in their Betty! is designed by Chris Chance and drawn exclusively for Fat City by True Temper Sports. The tube specs and diameters vary depending on the size, but all frames are built for 26" wheels, 1 1/8" headsets, 1 1/4" front derailleurs and 29.4mm seatposts. These frames are engineered for lighter riders and feature the precise performance and durability for which all Fat Chances are known.

Could someone please clarify what I can or cannot use on this bike?

Also, am I better off just sending off the fork to get refurbished?

AB

"You may have an older frame sold in 98. Serial number may help."

I agree - most likely an earlier frame.

mzkate

My Betty:

photo-2.jpg

Not doing a lot of single track with her these days and I wanted to do some dirt road/rails to trails touring, so I wanted a lighter fork that's a tad more supple than my bomber is of late.

chainline

That there looks like 1"1/8 from here ! IMO. And that makes it good for any modern fork..

Last edited:

mzkate

Time for a new LBS

Wow. I would but I love these guys. But I AM wondering if they are just much more road oriented. I'll go in and give them the appropriate amount of grief. Good lesson for me on trusting my gut and not the advice of an 'expert' as gospel.

These few days has me falling in love with my bike all over again, at least, and deciding I am going to put the money into rehabilitating her rather than letting her collect dust in the garage. The chain stays are long enough to do panniers (I figured that out after they told me it couldn't be done too. Hmm, maybe I do need a new one.)

Thanks for the help! Loved looking around the other threads too. Nice stuff you all have.

AB

I would suggest a rigid fork or a mid-2000's SID. I use to ride in the NoVa area a lot and rode rigid. Your bike is most likely a 1998 - 1999 production and in quite good shape from what I can see - very nice.

note: not all bike shops are created equal. Good ones are as difficult to find as good mechanics and doctors.

mzkate

Since I have one destroyed carpal bone on the right wrist, I did want to try to keep some suspension. I'm going to try to do some bike packing and the less wear and tear the better.

I did call the shop to talk about a new fork and the help was less than stellar. I think I need someone who does this kind of thing regularly rather than specializes in selling hybrids and high end road bikes. I'm a little tired of hearing 'it can't be done' or 'it won't fit' without one once of effort to see if that is true.

I appreciate the SID recommendation and I will look. Still thinking of revitalizing the old one.

Last edited:

chainline

Since I have one destroyed carpal bone on the right wrist, I did want to try to keep some suspension. I'm going to try to do some bike packing and the less wear and tear the better.

I did call the shop to talk about a new fork and the help was less than stellar. I think I need someone who does this kind of thing regularly rather than specializes in selling hybrids and high end road bikes. I'm a little tired of hearing 'it can't be done' or 'it won't fit' without one once of effort to see if that is true.

I appreciate the SID recommendation and I will look. If I did find a suspension fork with V-brake compatibility, can I go up to 80mm of travel without throwing off the geometry?

Here Is a couple of Ideas for you. if you go with a modern fork you will want to find something that will go to about 80 mm of travel so not to upset the geo to much, seeing that you have v brakes if you get a Avid bb7 disc brake caliper they will work with your current levers you will have to find a front wheel that is disc compatible.and that should be no problem as they are all over the place. I would first remove the stem and make 100% sure the steerer is 1-1/8 From the pic it looks like but I would still want to make sure. Anything can be done.THIS is a great forum with a lot of talented people here that are more than willing to help and give you some solid advice... Cheers. Eric

chefmiguel

I would look to see if I could find a vintage fork in good shape that would fit, therefore not getting into the whole new wheel build, brake and fork expense. Is there anything wrong with your current fork? Maybe call Hippietech, or Push and see if they could refresh your old one?

chainline

I would look to see if I could find a vintage fork in good shape that would fit, therefore not getting into the whole new wheel build, brake and fork expense. Is there anything wrong with your current fork? Maybe call Hippietech, or Push and see if they could refresh your old one?

A good oil change goes a long way for sure.These z2's are Great forks too. Any GOOD shop should be able to do a simple fork service and oil change....

mzkate

remove the stem

Working on this. Seems to be rather stubbornly stuck after having been comfortably in place for 14 years.:rolleyes:

if you go with a modern fork
see if they could refresh your old one

After about a half hour of searching for new and used I called Shockspital. I think this is the way to go--no fit/geo issues and a lot cheaper. He was very helpful.

Avid bb7 disc brake

I had thought of this but didn't know if putting a disc on only the front was doable. Had visions of launching myself over the handlebars. And it will be $$$.

+1. Eating my words as I type.

LOL. No worries. I am thinking it might be good advice in regards to what I want to accomplish. Don't think my LBS are out of the box thinkers. Need someone, like this group, that think more along the lines of 'we'll find a way to get this done.'

IF52

After about a half hour of searching for new and used I called Shockspital. I think this is the way to go--no fit/geo issues and a lot cheaper. He was very helpful.

Brian is really easy to work with and is a very nice person all around as far as I am concerned. He also seems to really like the old bomber forks, so you should be in good hands.

mzkate

I thought I would give some follow up on Betty's facelift.

I sent the fork off to B Rose at the Shockspital where, for $200 he refurbished the z2 Atom Bomb fork and even replaced the crown with a longer, steel steering tube. Since I am using the bike for dirt road bikepacking/touring being able to raise my hand position this way was a nice bonus. (I am giving it some time before I cut the tube down to final length since I just put the new handlebars on today). Brian was great, and I highly recommend him.

The bottom bracket, chain, cassette, and rear brake (broken pin) all needed replacement. I replaced the handle bars because the riser bars, one, looked silly with the touring grips, and, two, were too wide and couldn't be cut down and still have enough room for the shifters/brakes/grips. I added Ergon Biokork touring grips (which are amazingly comfortable), a Brooks B17S saddle, and an Old Man Mountain Red Rock rear rack. Topped it off with Continental touring tires, dual sided Shimano pedals and some girly city panniers for using it around town. (I have Arkel mountain panniers for when I do the Great Allegheny Passage ride, and, hopefully, some of the Great Divide Trail.) Found a Thompson seatpost on ebay which will be the final touch. Oh, and I gave her a little bling with a gold Salsa seat clamp. Every girl needs a little jewelry.

She's not swift on the single track anymore, but, let's face it, neither am I. So at least Betty won't be collecting dust in the garage.

And thanks to all of you who gave me advice when I began this project!

IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg