Kicker 85635

stoebben

Just finished a restoration of this December '85 Kicker. It's been posted here twice before by Shotty in its as-found condition, rescued from a dump somewhere back east. I believe every nut and bolt was rusted, with some of the components over the hill and others still usable with quite a bit of elbow grease. I am working on its sibling--85576--so I had a number of period correct spare parts to supplement.

I had to have the fork repainted due to rust bubbling underneath and did some body work and paint in three small areas due to chain suck, rubs and scrapes. Decals are original except for the down tube. Replaced the faded black Specialized stem with a painted to match Suntour XC. All parts are date code correct except the headset (Feb 86), saddle (1984--saved from my first "ATB"--an 84 Fisher Montare), wheels (1984), seat post (currently a new Kalloy UNO in 26.2--I have options in 26.4 but didn't realize until the end that it needed a 26.2!) and tires (special request by my step daughter who is now the proud owner). As the seat post is a 26.2, I have to go with a SR Laprade rather than a Suntour XC.

More pics and list of components to follow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    559.7 KB · Views: 30

stoebben

Thanks all! Previous owner is OK as his focus is restoring a Yo. Anyone got a fork for the guy? :santa:

I just spent time listing the parts and intricacies but got locked out and lost it. Too tired to redo. If you have any questions on the build, PM me or post. This kind of project is truly a labor of love as it takes too much time to do it as you want it, but the return is a huge smile and hug, and someone in the family who now can ride retro with you. :)

stoebben

Point taken-no doubt. You gotta wonder why. I'm just happy s/he did. It scares me, though--"oh, I was just cleaning up around here and it was taking up room so I just set it next to the dumpster last week when the dump truck came by . . . ." :eek: