[No title]

Karl

Hi Guys, IMHO there's no way this is a FAT, the tube set is wrong, it looks like someone just decaled up a bike with modified FAT decals

Karl

scant

some1 post the ebay link! Looking only from the top, those forks could be tange struts with the plastic top inserts removed (are they curved fork legs?)

rick

Team Chance bike

I posted a reply about this yesterday, but don't see it here, so it must have been lost in the airwaves or something.
This bike is certainly not a Fat, I had a conversation with Wendyll about these bikes some time back. Chris was involved in the design, but that was about it.
Interesting as a side note perhaps, but not particularly valuable IMO.

Pete McC

This was Wendyll response, the guy's posted it on the original ad now.

"This is not a frame built by Fat City nor is it a frame designed by Chris
Chance. It is one of a group of frames built in Japan and designed by our Canadian
distributor as a market test that proved to us that there was NO REASON for
us to EVER consider having frames built offshore.

Hope this helps."

marc

most interesting item is definitely the "team chance" seat collar, never seen this before on any real fat. perhaps "one-of-a-kind"......? :roll:

BruceMc

Discount Fatty

My first post here. Really happy to have a place for Fat Chance fans to get together. Thanks to everyone that set this board up and maintains it. :D

It is one of a group of frames built in Japan and designed by our Canadian distributor

This brings back memories. I worked in a bicycle shop in Toronto Canada in the late eighties and early nineties. IIRC, that bike was an attempt to broaden the Fat Chance line in Canada, at a lower price point. The Cdn distributor described above in the thread may have been Concorde, but I'm not really sure any more. Note that it is called a "Team Chance" not Fat Chance or Team Fat Chance.

The Fatty purists did not like it, but it was really not bad for a mass produced bike. Seems to me it sold for approx C$1000, less than half what a Fat Chance like a Yo Eddy sold for at the time.

This bike was what convinced me to buy a "real" Fatty. Just riding it around inside the store, there was no comparison in handling to a Yo Eddy. Being an impoverished student at the time, I bought a used Team Comp from the owner of the bike shop. He tended to try a lot of bikes, selling them off to the staff when the tires got dirty. The Team Comp looks like a Wicked, but has Tange Prestige tubing instead of True Temper, and luscious GP Wilson cast dropouts. I still have it today!

BruceMc

rick

Team Comp

Bruce,

I have a Team Comp too. As the Wicked has always been a personal fave, I really like the TC. What is your serial number? I think that mine is 09549TC.

rivk

BruceMc

Team Comp

Rick,

My serial number is 033008. For whatever reason it does not correspond to the numbering scheme that incorporates the model and year into the number. It also has a unicrown fork, not a box crown.

Does your TC have cast dropouts that say G.P.Wilson on them? Do you know what year it was made?

Bruce

rick

Team Comp

Bruce,

Wendyll told me that my Team Comp is a 90, although it is hard to decipher from the serial number.
My TC does indeed have the Wilson dropouts, sans threaded holes for racks/fenders, etc. The tube sets were also different from the Wicked, geometry is the same.
I don't know if you know that the TC sold for quite a premium over a Wicked, a few hundred $ as I recall. I can look it up from old price lists if you want.
There were a few types of TC sold over the years, I would guess that these versions are fairly rare, I have only seen a couple. For the price difference, most people would probably have bought a Wicked or YO, (after they came out in 89).

rick

BruceMc

Team Comp

Rick,

Thanks. I bought it (slighty) used, so I don't know too many details about it. The original owner said it was lighter than a Wicked. Lots of people used to ask me if it was a Wicked... I felt like putting a Wicked sticker on it so they would stop asking.

Mine is pretty much original... Suntour XC Pro Greaseguard components (except for the Fatty press in sealed BB), Synchros seatpost, original Fat Chance True Temper handlebars. I am getting concerned about wear on the Suntour drivetrain components, especially the freehub and casette.

Still a thrill to ride tho.

Bruce

rick

Team Comp

Bruce,

I also bought mr Team Comp used a couple of years ago. If you don't what know what to look for, there is little to identify as something special.
It should be a bit lighter than a Wicked, but I have never compared it to any of my other bikes. I should do that when I next have it torn apart.
My bike was repainted by D & D East when they were the official painter (repainter?) for Fat City back in the early 90s. It is set up with a mix of original and approximate period upgrades; stock xt derailers, NOS XT thumb shifters, NOS Scott AT-2 bars, NOS Ritchey stem, King head set, Ritchey post, Grafton cranks, Hershey Ti hubs, XTR cantis, Paul levers, Ringle QRs, etc. A fun bike to ride. I have not been particularly happy about the performance of the XTR cantis, they may get replaced, perhaps by Control Tech cantis.

rick

mainlyfats

I remember those too

They were - if I'm not mistaken - Concordes (some Canadians might be familiar with the brand). You could get them at Sport Swap on Yonge. You're all right - it's the seat collar that told them apart a hundred paces.