Original NTN Replacement BB Bearings

datmony

So check out these bad boys. I have been reading on here and MTBR the numerous threads about replacement bearings and using substitutes for the originals etc. With a quick call to NTN though, I was able to get the original bearings for the Yo including the snap ring and still with the original orange seals. They are also a very nice Taiwanese bearing versus a China one as a lot of the other replacements were. I ordered them from Applied Bearings down the road from me in Everett, WA and they had them drop shipped to my house. NTN can set you up with a local supplier and just give them the part number and you will be good to go.

Do note that the bearing part number differs on the box slightly from what it shows on the bearing itself and seems to have gained a few letters over the years. If you give the part number off the box it will show right in NTN's system......

Attachments

• WP_20150807_16_16_02_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150807_16_16_02_Pro.jpg
    457.1 KB · Views: 124
  • WP_20150807_16_16_13_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150807_16_16_13_Pro.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 99

datmony

I was pretty stoked when I called them and found they were still around in the original style. I had tried using their part number locator off the site and it showed no matches for the original part number on the bearing (which is still the original part number on the new bearings) and then only after calling them did they note that the part number was different as it shows on the box.

They are a very high quality bearing and fit like a charm. Currently working on getting the Yo freshened up with some XC Pro bits so I can get a maiden voyage on my first Fat. Still going to be a bit unfortunately as a few of the original XC Pro items on this one were pretty worked and I need to find a couple replacement pieces.

MikeyNYC

This is good info, I haven't seen the real NTN version of these bearings for quite a while.
I've found the knock-off versions, but this is good to know that they're still available.

datmony

They are the exact bearing in every way too. Great quality.... super happy I was able to find them. Others would have worked just fine I am sure but these are definitely legit.

Jeeves

Sorry - I'm being dense, I suspect, but I don't see these on the NTN Part Interchange (bearing search tool). There are three different bearings that end with LLUNR/3e, but none fully match the ID number on the box? Any help? Thanks!
-R

Captain Conway

Thanks for the lead. I just installed mine with the Rutland shaft collars and everything is buttery smooth. FYI what Phil wood sells ARE NOT the correct bearings. Is there a way to migrate this to the builders corner?

'89 Wicked

ciao a tutti,

I just found this thread and thank heavens - I need some advice.

WHAT is the correct part number to ask for when placing an order? I also tried the PN on the box in the photos and ... no match on the NTN website.

Last edited:

kdkicker

Phil Wood

I sent for some Phil Wood Bearings for my 86 Kicker and they were too big ID for the spindle. Fortunately I have a set of the others I have been saving. I forgot which Lactate we are supposed to use. Can someone help me remember?

mainlyfats

I sent for some Phil Wood Bearings for my 86 Kicker and they were too big ID for the spindle. Fortunately I have a set of the others I have been saving. I forgot which Lactate we are supposed to use. Can someone help me remember?

In my book Loctite and moving parts = no bueno and I have never used it on bearing/spindles/collars. I think you'll thank me when you go to swap them again in 10 years and don't have to cut the top edge of the bearing out of the frame. :eek:

As far as I know the Phil bearings require a Phil spindle with - presumably - custom collars.

kdkicker

Thanks. I am pretty sure we used it previously as I think this is my 3rd set but I will try it without and see how it goes.

mobius911

Just received and installed new NTN bearings. I bought them on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0117AZRFO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I went with a non-Amazon seller. Total including shipping for the two bearings was $22 and they arrived in a week. The photo on the Amazon page does not show the snap ring, but the written description is correct- they come with the snap ring.

I also installed the Ruland CL-10-A shaft collars because one of my originals split: https://www.ruland.com/CL-10-A.html

Not completely thrilled with the shaft collars. They are .135" wider than the originals, so they pretty much eliminate any chance to offset for chainline optimization. They also have a wider OD and seem to interfere, or at least have the potential to interfere, with the outside ring of the bearings. Of course, you only want the shaft collars to touch the inside rings.

I used a 1/2" threaded rod with nuts acting on large washers to pull the bearings into the hub. Worked like a charm.

mobius911

Just an update. My NTN bearings lasted 2 years, about 6,000 miles. I commute rain or shine, and I think riding in wet conditions wears them out faster.

Our bearings are a pretty standard size for go-karts and lawn mowers, so there are other manufacturers, and I decided to try a different brand. I went with these Xike bearings, which have a better rating (ABEC 3 vs 1) and only cost $10 for 4. It's only been a couple months, but they're working great so far. And at that price I'm happy to make them an annual maintenance item.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K6D1117/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I need to order a few bearings - thanks for the tip!

I ditched my collars in favor of precision stainless washers. This is an old trick I was given by Cook Bros, BITD. No more collar failure and virtually unlimited chainline optimization. The only caveat is determining the total washer thickness without preloading the bearings.

attachment.php

Bssc

Back in the day it was common to only use one collar on one side for bikes that swapped cranks / were test bikes , bearings are to be installed with Loctitie 609 it is how they came from the factory.

ozcanuck

Just an update. My NTN bearings lasted 2 years, about 6,000 miles. I commute rain or shine, and I think riding in wet conditions wears them out faster.

Our bearings are a pretty standard size for go-karts and lawn mowers, so there are other manufacturers, and I decided to try a different brand. I went with these Xike bearings, which have a better rating (ABEC 3 vs 1) and only cost $10 for 4. It's only been a couple months, but they're working great so far. And at that price I'm happy to make them an annual maintenance item.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K6D1117/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks, mate.....4 bearings for $9 US is a good deal. Starting a rebuild of my old 89 Wicked. The spindle is rusty and I need collars but we’ll get there! Had the bike since 1990 and will be buried with it.
Edit: Amazing..... got the bearings from Las Vegas to Adelaide Australia via DHL in one week. I can't get shit from Sydney in under a month. The bearings are perfect . Thanks.

Last edited: