Suggestions for new Steel HT

Kirk Shell

I'm looking to possibly buy a new steel HT with a decent 100mm FS. Haven't decided on 26 or 29 yet. Could go either way. My current ride is my 93 Yo Eddy with a worn out Mag21. I'd really like to stay with steel. IF and Groovy may be a bit out of my price range right now. Possibly Salsa, Kona Explosif or the Jamis Dragon?

Suggestions?

Last edited:

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
I was on the Curtlo site after someone posted something there on another forum. I always liked them BITD and it was neat to see he is still going strong.

The frames prices are quite reasonable--around $1200 with a sus fork, $800s without. The curved seat stays look awesome, but I was also drooling over the softtails. And the frames have a life time guarantee. Unfortunately I can't vouch for ride quality personally (one day, one day).

http://www.curtlo.com/

AB

I would figure out the size first - 29 or 26 and go from there. I'd be willing to bet that a steel HT 29 bike would get pretty heavy fast.

IF52

I think if Indi Fab and Groovy are out of the OP's price range so are all the builders who have been suggested so far. No?

rody

Kirk,

Congrats on the opportunity for a new ride. Interested in splitting the difference with a wheel size that is an excellent blend of the strengths of both 26/29...650b? Now strongly supported by tire manufacturers, this wheel size really rocks on the trail.

Given your pricing considerations, I would strongly suggest checking out the Soma Fab B-side.

Quality tubing with clean construction, nice pricepoint, can run an 80mm 650 fork or any 100mm Fox fork, geared or single speed...it has a lot to offer.

Check it out... http://www.somafab.com/bside.html

cheers,

rody

DC

...splitting the difference with a wheel size that is an excellent blend of the strengths of both 26/29...650b...

Agreed, I recently got to have my first 650 ride, it feels right, so much less lumbering in the tight stuff while still retaining that monster truck feel!

I think if Indi Fab and Groovy are out of the OP's price range so are all the builders who have been suggested so far. No?

The 29er Qball I mentioned is $500 for a 5lb AMERICAN built, hand crafted, steel frame. Thats is about $100 more than the overseas stuff. Not dogging Soma or Salsa or whoever or where they make their bikes...just my preference and passions. (heck, I even have a Surly and a Taiwan Ibis in the family...but they do get picked on!)

I would figure out the size first - 29 or 26 and go from there
Excellent advice!(or 650)

Last edited:

Kirk Pacenti

Kirk,

Congrats on the opportunity for a new ride. Interested in splitting the difference with a wheel size that is an excellent blend of the strengths of both 26/29...650b? Now strongly supported by tire manufacturers, this wheel size really rocks on the trail.

Given your pricing considerations, I would strongly suggest checking out the Soma Fab B-side.

Quality tubing with clean construction, nice pricepoint, can run an 80mm 650 fork or any 100mm Fox fork, geared or single speed...it has a lot to offer.

cheers,

rody

Kirk, I strongly second Rody's suggestion to go 650b. The Soma is a good choice as may be something from Rawland. And if you're a single speeder, the Surly 1x1 was practically designed for 650b wheels. Cheers, KP

yo-Nate-y

Staff member

Nope. The Curtlo frames I suggested are in the $800s for a frame. That's about half what Indy Fab or Groovy charge.

IF52

The 29er Qball I mentioned is $500 for a 5lb AMERICAN built, hand crafted, steel frame. Thats is about $100 more than the overseas stuff. Not dogging Soma or Salsa or whoever or where they make their bikes...just my preference and passions. (heck, I even have a Surly and a Taiwan Ibis in the family...but they do get picked on!)

Oops, I clicked the Quiring link, not the qball link. $500.00 is more in line with what the OP had listed as their original options.

IF52

Nope. The Curtlo frames I suggested are in the $800s for a frame. That's about half what Indy Fab or Groovy charge.

True, right in line with the Salsa I guess.

I guess in that price range the OP could see if Spooky can throw together a Horror Taxi for them, although they only do a medium and large as stock sizes. Massachusetts built (like Fat) 650B in True Temper OX for $860.00

http://www.spookybikes.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=HORRORTAXI

I know the their Darkside frames have kind of a cult following.

DC

Spooky

Cool, I didn't realize that Spooky was still around (or back?). There stuff looks b.a.

Kirk Shell

Kirk,

cheers,

rody
Rody, I might be able to swing one of your bikes if I could work some magic, but I believe there is a long waiting list, true?

Kirk Shell

Nothings out of the question. With my budget, it would be smart to go cheaper, but I'm not always real smart.

Kirk Shell

I would figure out the size first - 29 or 26 and go from there. I'd be willing to bet that a steel HT 29 bike would get pretty heavy fast.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I'm new to this forum and really appreciate all the help. I've been looking at most of the recommended bikes. Maybe a 650B would be a good bet. Do you guys think it is here to stay and there will be support / parts for 650B bikes in the future? I'd like toget something I can use til death do us part :D

IF52

Maybe a 650B would be a good bet. Do you guys think it is here to stay and there will be support / parts for 650B bikes in the future? I'd like toget something I can use til death do us part :D

Kirk Pacenti may have an opinion on that. Rody does too.

Kirk Pacenti

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I'm new to this forum and really appreciate all the help. I've been looking at most of the recommended bikes. Maybe a 650B would be a good bet. Do you guys think it is here to stay and there will be support / parts for 650B bikes in the future? I'd like toget something I can use til death do us part :D

Yes, the size is here to stay. With 5-6 tire makers, 6-7 rim makers and 3-4 good fork options, you will have no trouble finding parts for a long, long time to come. Fwiw, I will do my part and make sure that there are always several Pacenti tire options readily available for the next 20 years or so. Cheers, KP PS: I have 4-5 forks, a bunch of rims and a LOT of tires and a couple frames that are all 650b compatible in stock now.