1981 Chris Chance Criterium

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Just in case there is anyone here who doesn't follow MTBR's VRC forum (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=639018) or Retrobike.uk(http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=112014&sid=0052a3475e020eb36f0f81dcc9073ea1), here is my finally completed Chance.

Enjoy!

[and I quote]
Just got back from a short ride around town to make sure everything is proper. And yes, yes it is very proper :) My local shop (http://www.thedevilsgear.com) had some black cable end crimps that they volunteered after ogling for a bit. I stopped afterward to take some snaps with my iPhone. Not bad, but I need to get back out there with the DSLR soon so I can compete with Spikes' awesome bokeh.

The ride is great and the fit is perfect. She turns quickly and precisely and the BB is relatively high. You'll see in the pics that the rear end is nice and tight too. But despite being a criterium frame and all that entails, she handles very smoothly and isn't skittish at all. I am used to riding a keirin bike on the street, and she feels far more stable than that. I cruised up to the top of a local promontory (East Rock), descended, and did a few short sprints. Though I was just wearing converse the frame seems admirably stiff. I need to find some classic stiff soled shoes now....or swap out some clipless for longer rides.

chance17.jpg

But I digress, here are some pics! I am very stoked with how this project has turned out.

chance1.jpg

chance9.jpg

chance8.jpg

chance7.jpg

chance6.jpg

chance5.jpg

chance15.jpg

chance13.jpg

rthomer

That's beautiful!
Is that the original paint? And are the brakes a dark anodized or black?
Nicely done.

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Original paint. It was ordered without downtube decals but I kinda wish they were there.

The brakes are Dia Compe Royal Gran Compe 400's and they are *almost* black. Kind of a black chrome look. I had sourced a set of black DA calipers but the reach was slightly too long, so I went with these.

Last edited:

Spikes

Quite amazing! Love the original paint. Soon I'll show my new frame from the same period. Why did you choose black tires instead of tan sidewalls?

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
The Gatorskins may be a bit modern, but I like their ride....though they have a classic sidewall-esque appearance. But mainly, I just like to ride them. The Jagwire housing was another nod to convenience.

Looking forward to seeing yours--what's left on the build?

Spikes

Enjoy your ride and keep it in good shape! Mine is waiting for the wheels to be made. Then it is ready!

IF52

The Gatorskins may be a bit modern, but I like their ride....though they have a classic sidewall-esque appearance. But mainly, I just like to ride them. The Jagwire housing was another nod to convenience.

I wouldn't worry about the tires too much, Contis have had brown sidewalls, not tan for as long as I can remember. Those gatorskins look really close to anything you would have found at least as far back as the mid 80s in the Conti line.

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Indeed.

Hot damn- (if I may gush over my own bike for a moment) I love the lines of the brake cables, levers, and bars in that last pic :)

fat-tony

Staff member
That is a damn nice looking bike and you can just tell how great it rides just by looking at it. Great job and well worth your patience! Absolutely beautiful. :beer:

mainlyfats

Love it. I've tried for years to get my sold-it-on-a-whim Chris Chance back.

I'm sure you know all about them, but the Challenge Criteriums (though tough to find in NA) are a really nice tan sidewall tire. I have a set of Parigi-Roubaix (27c instead of 23c) on my road bike and the ride beautifully.

BobM

Nice - I have a very biased appreciation of your bike. I remember a 2nd bike was built similar to this one - they both had the red/white panel scheme, although the other bike had a white fork. I think it was either the same guy or 2 brothers that bought the 2 bikes. Your bike looks like it's in great condition!

Everyone hanging around the shop really liked the red/white panel scheme -I liked it so much I ended up painting my own bike the same color (w/ white fork) - so I guess I have the triplet to your bike!

http://www.fatcogs.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=319&d=1131226893

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Wow---! Nice to see another one. There are so few of them floating around, and that is very nearly a twin. And with a paint to match pump to boot--very very sweet! The red/white is also the classic scheme for Richard Sachs---not surprisingly I think I recall seeing the red/white on an old Weigle too.

What's the story on yours? I'd love to see more pics of it.

Oh, and a little announcement---my Chance is currently in the running for road bike of the month (rBOTM) at RetroBike.co.uk. If any of you are on that site as well, swing by and drop a vote (hopefully for Fat brotherhood, but of course, follow your heart):

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=154472

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
The Chris Chance ended up taking the Road Bike of the Month comp back in June, and now it is an entry (with the other monthly winners for 2011) in the Road Bike of the Year competition on Retrobike.co.uk.

If anyone is inclined, I'd certainly appreciate your vote! Win or not, it is bike of the decade for me, and I am still giggly at the fact that it occasioned an email exchange with Chris Chance himself. Jr. High School-obsessed with Fat City Cycles me would be awfully proud of mid-30s-still on a Fat me :)

The voting:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1366558#1366558