1989 Wicked Rims

J.S.

Could somebody let me know what rims came stock on the 1989 Wicked.
I saw a catalogue with pictures but no specs.

J.S.

Mine came with Specialized GX23 but it was a shop build.
About 1992 I bent the back and since the GX23 anodized was no longer available the shop suggested a silver Mavic M231 and that's what I have. Both are great but I would like a matching set so I thought I could try and find out what originally came with a 1989 Wicked Fat Chance.

J.S.

Back in '89 we built them with RM17's, RM 25's, or Ritchey Vantage.
Thank you for the information!
I have the ARAYA RM17 super hard anodized and a set of Ritchey Vantage Expert silver.
Also have a set of ARAYA RM20 silver that I saw was specified in the 1988 catalogue.
Thanks again, you saved me from going insane trying to find a NOS or really nice used Specialized GX23.

Thank you for the information!
I have the ARAYA RM17 super hard anodized and a set of Ritchey Vantage Expert silver.
Also have a set of ARAYA RM20 silver that I saw was specified in the 1988 catalogue.
Thanks again, you saved me from going insane trying to find a NOS or really nice used Specialized GX23.
Any of those are good.

Our shop (Mark's Bike Shop) did mostly custom wheels on bike of this level. Vantage were really hot at that time, and it was the tail end of the de facto Araya-RM-Series.

J.S.

My 89 Wicked came with Mavic Oxygen M-6 rims.
Thank you for this information!
I also have a set of little used OXYGEN NE (black edition) spoked to the correct XT hubs with DT spokes.
I think with the information you've provided I'll use those on the current configuration.
I also like ARAYA RM20's a lot and maybe I'll use those with the original black XT hubs.

I-ROBOT

Well at least for 1988 it seems that they shipped some according to this page from a 1988 catalog. View attachment 7713
We worked with Seattle Bike Supply for a while to supply complete bike parts kits to dealers for them to assemble into complete bikes at their shops. We rarely ever assembled complete bikes for shipment, if ever. Most complete assemblies done at FCC were for employee bikes or race team bikes or for marketing and brochures. We did provide neutral support bikes for Mavic for a few seasons so we had lots of Mavic rims and components in the shop. I believe the M231's were the rim of choice for most back then but we worked with Araya as well. We also supplied Campagnolo OR parts kits for a while when they sponsored our pro race team.
Regards
Scott

J.S.

We worked with Seattle Bike Supply for a while to supply complete bike parts kits to dealers for them to assemble into complete bikes at their shops. We rarely ever assembled complete bikes for shipment, if ever. Most complete assemblies done at FCC were for employee bikes or race team bikes or for marketing and brochures. We did provide neutral support bikes for Mavic for a few seasons so we had lots of Mavic rims and components in the shop. I believe the M231's were the rim of choice for most back then but we worked with Araya as well. We also supplied Campagnolo OR parts kits for a while when they sponsored our pro race team.
Regards
Scott
Thank you, great stuff !!!

AB

Regards
Scott
Scott - Do you know if the Mavic support bikes had a different serial number designation?

I-ROBOT

Scott - Do you know if the Mavic support bikes had a different serial number designation?
I don't think so, but I'm not 100% sure. I thought they were just regular production frames outfitted with Mavic parts wherever possible.
I didn't have any direct involvement and I don't remember being told that any specific frames were going to become Mavic bikes. But, you know, that old smoky shop thing sometimes clouds my brain... :ROFLMAO:

Bigbead75

I would lace to tubeless rims now and call it a day.
Came here looking for suggestions for my '89 build - but finding good rims in good condition is not an easy task.

I have been leaning towards Velocity Cliffhangers - laced to my Suntour XC Pro hubs (it's all XC Pro) - I think I'm with you on this...done hunting for old rims that won't perform as well (I'm planning on running 2.3" Compass Rat Trap Pass tires so the extra width of the rim will help)

Last edited: