93 Yo Eddy

WVEddy

I just found this site. I have owned my FAT since 1994. It was orginally team violet with a MAG 21, but got repainted two tone about 10 years ok. These photos are old, but will give you an idea of the ride. My old girl is on the stand right now without a fork (anyone got parts for a 97 Manitou SX TI?) I will get some new picks posted as soon as I get her back together. I have considered selling the FAT on several occasions, but could never do it. Feels like part of the family to me. Glad to see others feel the same way.

1994 Yo Eddy
Large
Two Tone- Violet to purple
XT/XTR Drive drive train
Sachs Rear Derailer- truely sweet
Cook Crank- purple to match
Purple Oury gribs to match
Manitou SX TI Fork- for now
Magura rim brakes

Attachments

• Fat1.jpg
    Fat1.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 215
  • fat3.jpg
    fat3.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 99
  • fat4.jpg
    fat4.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

Doug Carter

Staff member
Wonderful bike! Fantastic paint choice on the re-spray.

Welcome to the forums, we all feel the same way you do about Fat Chance bikes. :cool:

DC

I love the fade! That bike is begging for a Team Violet fork. No parts here for your Manitou, just a suggestion to look into a hand-built segmented cro-mo fork for her.
Welcome to FAT Cogs!

WVEddy

The paint was custom at a local body shop in WV. The violet is not a perfect match, in fact it is a little pink in certain light conditions. My daughters think it is super cool to ride a pink and purple bike, since they do too. I think my oldest daughter has her eye on stealing the Fat when she gets bigger. I am evaluating going back to the orginal team Violet in the upcoming rebuild, but the two color fade was always been sweet. Plus dropping "kids" on a pink and purple bike with a bell is kinda special to me.

WVEddy

History of my Yo Eddy

It is funny, but I bet every Fat Chance owner has a story on their bike. I found some old pictures that show the progression on my bike over the years. Thought you all might get a kick out of these.
  1. The first picture is the earliest photo i think i have of my Fat. i bought it used and i as far as i know i am the 3rd owner. The bike had been raced for one season, and then sold to the guy i bought it from in 1995. It was pretty "worn" and the decals were trashed. It had a Mag 21 and an all XT group.
  2. The next picture was a complete rebuild for the most part. 8sp XT/XTR group with new wheels. I still ride those Cook cranks and Magura brakes to this day.
  3. This is the last photo before the respray, and good bye to team violet. This is also one of the few pics of my Team Fuji lugged steel road bike (it was destroyed in a bad wreck).
  4. The Fat got a much deserved respray. This was probably about late 1997 or early 1998
  5. The build after the respray was pretty thorough. The Manitou SX TI replaced the Mag 21. I went threadless. Bike went pretty much full XTR and compact drive. In race gear, it was sub 25lbs. The only orginal parts at this point were the seat post (american classic) and front XT derailer.
Other than drivetrain replacements, the fat stayed like this until recent. Now it is going back to Team Violet and get some new gear.

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 55
  • scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    397.7 KB · Views: 36
  • scan0006.jpg
    scan0006.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 41
  • scan0005.jpg
    scan0005.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 53
  • scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 42

WVEddy

I forgot to mention, those water bottle cages have been on the bike for 15 years. not sure you can buy a purple cage today, so no point changing.

WVEddy

Latest Build

After close to 2yrs on the rebuild and a fight with bike cancer, the fat has been returned to its former glory. Special thanks to Steve at NorthStar Customs for working so hard and putting up with me during the frame rebuild process. This is drive train probably 5 or 6. The only orginal parts at this point is the frame. This build was a complete refresh of everything.

Build:
XT 10 speed 1x10
RaceFace Cranks SS
XTR Hubs
Cane Creek Direct pul 5 brakes
Paul LoverLevers
Thomson Seat Post
Chris King headset
Marzocchi bomber Marathon SL 2003

Paint:
Team Violet on the frame, fork and stem
New decals from Gil
Custom Graphics on the fork

Attachments

• IMG_3795 (1024x683).jpg
    IMG_3795 (1024x683).jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3802 (1024x683).jpg
    IMG_3802 (1024x683).jpg
    396.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3804 (683x1024).jpg
    IMG_3804 (683x1024).jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3811 (683x1024).jpg
    IMG_3811 (683x1024).jpg
    430.6 KB · Views: 13

smittylube

I forgot to mention, those water bottle cages have been on the bike for 15 years. not sure you can buy a purple cage today, so no point changing.

I love it- I had two on my wicked and took off one and put it on my new carbon santa cruz.
But mine are older- at least 20 years old! (sorry not purple)

I also love the bikes resting inside - that's excellent!