The biggest thing is the rear end. The Amp triangle is a B3 so the geometry is all out, shock is too short too hence why the previous owner has fabricated a different mount under the top tube. I'll pull it all aprts and work out how best to move on with it. I've hopefully got an Amp B2 doner frame on it's way as a backup plan.
Hopefully the steelwork is good and then that can go for a new coat of paint.
Non correct components are all easily stripped and moved on. I'll need to asses the Ringle bits to see what's good and what's bad.
Forks will need a good strip down and then be fitted with springs and new carts. Wheels are trash.
So the build/rebuild begins... Pulled it out of it's box and had a good look over it.
It's in fair condition really, nothing seems cracked or bent, just really dirty. aim is to now fully strip and review from there..
Ringle bits have been polished removing the Turquoise which is a bit annoying but all good. Now all for sale if you;re interested . Contact points are trash really, the bars and stem are for the bin i think as are the shifters and levers.
Some interesting bits.. The Rear end seems to be a B3 and has a very short shock, hence the inclusion of the home made frame mount. the rear end does seem solid though, haven;t found any cracks yet. Brilliantly it came with an older and crucially longer shock so this should be usable. It's got the original TWP/Fat City brace which is awesome. The Judy's have the original SL steerer which is really great as finding 1 inch crowns has always been tricky and I have another really, really nice Judy to drop on the front in place of these.
Next step is to strip it down and get a closer look at everything. Most parts are for the sell off. I think I've got enough parts to build back up into a nice rider.
Got this pretty much down to it's bare frame now. I've refitted the original shock and removed the extra mount plate, geometry seems to be now back to how it was out of the factory. Still believe the rear end s B3 but seems OK. I think the currently fitted shock is a B2. Brion at Amp has nicely provided me with some shock details to help identify components.
Had some time this weekend to put together a tester build to make sure everything was working OK.. Nice basic build XTR M900, Graftons + ActionTec Ti rings, Syncros and Renthal.. Having gone out on a little test ride this evening I'm really pleased. It's a really chuckable size and the shock's actually quite responsive. I think this is going to be a really nice rider.
Earlier in the weekend I did some shock servicing and put fresh oil in the shock as well as in the Judy. Now just keeping an eye peeled for leaks. Fresh oil and springs in the Judys have massively improved the ride too, it all feels really plush.
Ah, the yellow is going. It's a nasty powder coat and I want to do something a bit more special. Thinking maybe Candy Wild Cherry or something similar with a matching rear end. Or maybe Aquafade harlequin...
You can burn the paint off (if you dare, I mean if you are careful) without damaging the steel. Heat it just enough to get the paint to bubble and then start scraping. Chemical strippers can be less hazardous but take much longer. A good heat gun is your best bet.