Finished my build today! 1989 Wicked

afterbang

So other than probably needing a new chain and putting on some new Grab On grips, I got my Wicked pretty dialed in. The BB cable guide was a bit of a headache. I ended up having to go to the hardware store and getting a machine screw and a castle nut that barely grabbed. I just used some loc-tite for now. The hole where the rivet is was huge compared to my other Wicked and I didn't have a rivet gun big enough. Oh, and I messed up the paint on my old Wicked fork with the race removal tool. Bummed me out as that neon green paint was factory and in perfect shape... oh well.

Other than that, it went pretty smoothly. Everything is factory spec'd other than the Deore LX platform pedals w/ Specialized clips and straps. Those were sitting at my parents house so I'll just rock the pink for now and get some black ones off fleabay.

IMG_4786.jpg

IMG_4791.jpg

IMG_4792.jpg

IMG_4793.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy!

afterbang

Thanks guys. I'm super happy with it. However, I think what I'm most excited about is being able to start another new project :)

afterbang

Really nice build, the color is awesome.

PM me when you are selling the clips and straps please.

I was looking for some black Specialized clips today and saw that there is a guy selling the pink ones for 8.00 with free shipping, BIN. However, I will let you know when I get a new set. I may get a set tonight in neon yellow.

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
I'll echo the others and say congrats--it looks great. The color came out well, the bars are a really nice touch...and I am fond of neon straps (if you give them a few twists as they go through the underside of the pedal they won't bow out or rotate).

Only thing that would make it better are knobby tires.... ;)

afterbang

Yeah, I'll replace my 8 dollar Kendas in time :) I raced XC and BMX all through grade school and then strictly raced DH and did freeriding after that. This is my first trail bike I've had in a while and I can't wait to take it out. I just have to make sure I ride it within its limits. Breaking things was a concern of mine so I need to learn to keep both wheels on the ground most of the time.

This is my current freeride bike. It was custom built by Frank the Welder of Yeti and Spooky Cycles fame and another picture of me riding in Hood River on one of Franks 9" DH bikes. I know that discipline is probably not most people on here's cup of tea but I share the same love that everyone else has here for nice, handmade bikes.

1FC32D03-2497-4B10-A99D-42693236C834-2094-00000158A8B22571.jpg

37BF5A67-421E-4EFE-AEAA-BA583F4F18BC-2094-00000158C625707D.jpg

troda

Yeah, I'll replace my 8 dollar Kendas in time :) I raced XC and BMX all through grade school and then strictly raced DH and did freeriding after that. This is my first trail bike I've had in a while and I can't wait to take it out. I just have to make sure I ride it within its limits. Breaking things was a concern of mine so I need to learn to keep both wheels on the ground most of the time.

This is my current freeride bike. It was custom built by Frank the Welder of Yeti and Spooky Cycles fame and another picture of me riding in Hood River on one of Franks 9" DH bikes. I know that discipline is probably not most people on here's cup of tea but I share the same love that everyone else has here for nice, handmade bikes.

1FC32D03-2497-4B10-A99D-42693236C834-2094-00000158A8B22571.jpg

37BF5A67-421E-4EFE-AEAA-BA583F4F18BC-2094-00000158C625707D.jpg
Hope the landing wasnt how you got your user name ;-)

Fatatious One

Hey, looking good! Question, what tires are those, I want to get gumwalls for my 89'
Wicked that I recently picked up. Also I'm torn between painting and powdercoating.

afterbang

Those are just inexpensive Kenda tires that I threw on there because they were like 8 dollars wholesale. Just google "gumwall Kenda 26" and you'll find them. I am currently building a Yo Eddy to thrash on and I have a downhill and freeride bike so I'm going to keep this Wicked in its current condition. Otherwise, I would have put some aggressive tires on this.

I would recommend powder over paint but find someone that has experience doing bikes. Ive been there where you have to file and sand out powder coating from cable guides and brake posts and it's not fun. Powder doesn't chip and does not scratch as easily as paint and a good shop will have any color you want.

Good luck and have fun!

- Matt

Jeeves

Nicely done! Very specific question...where did you find that True Temper sticker?
I'd love to get my hands on one.

Thanks
-R

rick

gumwall tires

First Flight Bikes has the Timbuk II gumwall tires. They perform fairly well and look great on a vintage bike

Fatatious One

Next Step

Thanks for the great info people. Took my frame and fork to the powder coater today. They are balls to the walls busy now, but I should get it back in about 4 weeks. Thats O.K. because I have to gather up all the other components that I need. Color is going to be a deep blue/purple RAL-5022 I believe. Also decals I got from Velocal are yellow, gonna look good!

afterbang

Be sure to post pics and take your time applying those decals if you want them to be straight! I would use masking tape or a pencil to mark where on the downtube they will lay. It's very easy to get them crooked as I had to get another one because I screwed it up.