Need some advice / input

Hi there. New to the forum, and could use the expertise of the group.

I have a 1992 Yo Eddy bike. Bought and built up myself in 1992, and other than new wheels, brakes / pads and a new seat a few times over the course of 21 years of ownership, haven't replaced much else.

However, I think my headset is starting to go bad, feeling like there is some friction and my front brake cable, which runs through a roller hanger on my Salsa stem, is constantly getting pinched in the roller.

So, looking to replace both the headset and stem. But I have no idea what I would use to replace them. Are there parts still made that fit the bike, or should I look for older parts that will work? Any advice or suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

Just posted a pic of my bike in the Registry thread. Here is a closeup of the stem and headset (Shimano Deore DX) as well.

Attachments

• photo 1 (3).jpg
    photo 1 (3).jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 21
  • photo 2 (3).JPG
    photo 2 (3).JPG
    387.8 KB · Views: 21

tvcreative

keep the stem replace the roller. The stem is considered a classic and fetches tall cash

replace the headset with Chris King, or try to find a NOS XT on Ebay. IF you want to go cheap a Tange Levin is a good alternative.

just my two cents worth

thanks for the help. wrt the roller, is it a special part I need to find, or will any similar sized roller work?

for the headset, I assume this is a 1" threaded headset (built my bike so long ago I don't recall what it is)? If so, any particular model of chris king out there I should be looking for?

fat-tony

Staff member
thanks for the help. wrt the roller, is it a special part I need to find, or will any similar sized roller work?

for the headset, I assume this is a 1" threaded headset (built my bike so long ago I don't recall what it is)? If so, any particular model of chris king out there I should be looking for?

If you decide to sell the stem, please let me know....You just need a headset for a 1 inch threaded fork steerer.

chefmiguel

You may just need to replace the brake cable. Once a cable twists or kinks in a direction it keeps that odd bend and will continue to fall off the roller. Try that first and while the cable is off check the roller for cracks or chips.

RobTu

Like Mig said, think overhaul before replacing. I bet the headset and stem will work fine, with some cleaning, replacing the cable, and greasing.

jpicard616

If you do decide to get a new headset, go for the Chris King 2Nut. It's probably the best threaded headset on the market.

fat-tony

Staff member
If you decide to sell the stem, please let me know....You just need a headset for a 1 inch threaded fork steerer.

Folks are probably right about starting with the brake cable. I was just answering your question regarding the size and type headset......

mainlyfats

Like Mig said, think overhaul before replacing. I bet the headset and stem will work fine, with some cleaning, replacing the cable, and greasing.

+ (what?) 4 or 5? You might try running a small - 2 inches say - section of gore or nylon cable sheath over the roller too.

G-Dog

McMaster-Carr has the replacement wheels for the salsa stem, Google them. You didn't say what kind of headset. But after all these years it may just need cleaning and some good grease, you can chec
the bearings at the same time.

McMaster-Carr has the replacement wheels for the salsa stem, Google them. You didn't say what kind of headset. But after all these years it may just need cleaning and some good grease, you can chec
the bearings at the same time.

It's a Shimano Deore DX. I'll check McMaster Carr, but looks like the existing roller is not easily removed since it is riveted in there. Have you done this in the past and have any tips?

It's a Shimano Deore DX. I'll check McMaster Carr, but looks like the existing roller is not easily removed since it is riveted in there. Have you done this in the past and have any tips?

Gdog (who lives out in the East Bay; Brentwood) has rebuilt a few of the Salsa roller stems including replacing the wheels & rivets if it needs it but chances are it's just the cable. If not the Cable reach out to him; he'd be glad to help.

Deore DX (although is not bad) is Sub Standard for a Fat Chance. I would shop on ebay for a Chris King 2-nut 1" headset (as others have suggested too) & you'll never have to replace it again!