Rip yoml2072

Retro Dude

Sad to say goodbye today, my son hit a rock garden a little to hard, I'm just glad the _CRACK_ I heard was the frame and not his arm.

Time to start looking for a replacement...

Attachments

• 20160823_174610 - Copy.jpg
    20160823_174610 - Copy.jpg
    437 KB · Views: 92
  • 20160823_174604 - Copy.jpg
    20160823_174604 - Copy.jpg
    391.2 KB · Views: 75

Doug Carter

Staff member
Holy hell, dude. I can't say I've ever seen a Fat do that. At least one that wasn't a pile of rust.

Glad he's ok. :ambulance:

I-ROBOT

That's extremely rare to see fractures initiating at the tops of the top and down tubes. I'm a bit surprised that the wheel didn't come apart but the frame may have had a lot of fatigue cycles in it and that impact was the last straw (obviously)

Glad nobody but Eddy was injured (he's already bandaged) but the frame has had it.

Mount it on the wall and remember the good times!

Regards and condolences
Scott

Retro Dude

Yeah, it's headed for a wall this weekend. I picked it up a few years ago off ebay so who knows what kind of life it had for those 18 years.

I'm just glad my son only banged up his knee, I would hate to have to explain a bone break to my wife - plus we were a 35 minute hike back to the trail head.

I-ROBOT

Believe it or not, that is not the most unusual failure that I have seen on a FAT.

We had a downtube split open on one bike. Apparently, True Temper had a welding issue with one lot of the seamed tube used to make our downtubes. This one manifested itself shortly after the customer took delivery and put in some hard miles on it.

The longitudinal seam weld fractured and propagated along the entire length of the downtube. It looked like somebody took a can opener to the downtube and split it open from the head tube all the way to the bottom bracket. The welds joining the headtube and bottom bracket held up so the frame did not fold up and the rider was not hurt in any way. We were amazed when the frame came back to our shop. Wish I had a photo of it. We immediately replaced the frame under warranty and located all of the downtubes in our stock that had the same lot number and returned them to TT. They did an RCA and stated that only that one lot of tubing was affected.

That was the one and only instance that I ever saw. Hopefully no others had the same fate after I moved on.

Scott

Retro Dude

Yup, had a disc mount added, worked great. My son wanted discs with the old school drive train so he went with mechanical discs.