Sourcing Parts question

Jtharp90

I’m a big fan of Fat Chance Bikes and had a Yo when I was younger. I’m thinking about buying a used 90’s Fat but wanted to hear from this group about sourcing parts.

Do most parts need to be bought on eBay or are there plenty of new parts for a 26” bike?
What’s the best way to go about upgrading the older bikes? Thinking about high end components, etc.

Thanks!

Stingercut

Any pics of Your Yo of Yoof ? In truth finding high end period parts for a 90s bike is VERY expensive and a time consuming process. The pool of parts in good or NOS condition keeps getting smaller and competition for the ‘statement’ pieces like a cool stem, cranks or shifters is intense. Its probably cheaper to buy a complete bike or to make an offer directly to someone who already owns your dream ride/spec.

Good luck,

Stinger

colker

Any pics of Your Yo of Yoof ? In truth finding high end period parts for a 90s bike is VERY expensive and a time consuming process. The pool of parts in good or NOS condition keeps getting smaller and competition for the ‘statement’ pieces like a cool stem, cranks or shifters is intense. Its probably cheaper to buy a complete bike or to make an offer directly to someone who already owns your dream ride/spec.

Good luck,

Stinger
Otoh there are new parts around at Soma/ Rivendell, Velo Orange, Microshift, White Industries, which emulate or plain bring back 80s and 90s drivetrain standards, brakes... even rims. Bullmoose bars, triple cranks, square taper BBs. I find the statement pieces, like salsa stems w/ rollers and their prices, very very boring.. A Kalloy Uno stem does the same job as it did in the 90s. I much rather look at a rider built w/ whatever parts found around then candidates for internet vintage contests.