1982 #11 - what's your thoughts?

THOR

Just wondering how many of you saw the 1982 # 11 that made a brief appearance the other day on feebay ?

Just looking for opinions (about the bike). I added my own down below a few replies (after I realized I should clarify better).
Any opinions (about the bike)? observations (about the bike)?

Attachments

• s-l16.jpg
    s-l16.jpg
    581.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Stingercut

It sold to a experienced FAT owner/restorer for a high price. Its a lovely piece of very very rare early FAT history. Look out for an amazing resto at some point 😉

Stinger.

Last edited:

THOR

It's funny that both replies thought I had a problem with the sale. I don't care at all what happened.
I was only looking for feedback on what people thought of the bike, condition, starting price, etc.
Guess I should of clarified.
"Friendly" is my middle name. Just ask AB. He met me last week.

1) Very cool bike.
2) I would have priced it the same (or more).
3) I don't buy project bikes, but wish whoever did nothing but the best. Can't wait to see it in the future.

Haaland

I bought it off eBay. I had some chats with the seller before I finally pulled the trigger - and he listed it on eBay after it was offered to me directly and I decided that it was too stupid not to buy this.

I never saw the eBay ad, but as far as I know the first owner is Christopher Ingleheart, the seller got lucky and picked it up and sold it to me. Since it’s Deerhead equipped I would think Chris upgraded it quite soon after he got it ans it looks like the parts that’s there was there for a long time.

I’m going to rebuild it and make it 1982 again, so I’m expecting a great riding, but rather crude, bike. I have/had 4 1983s ans will think this feels like a more primitive one. Time will show.

Jalapeno

To clarify, I didn’t think you had a problem with the sale. I was remarking that sometimes when a seller removes the listing it is for reasons other than a consummated sale.

Haaland

Seems quite normal these days that a bike is listed both on eBay and on forums. Very often sales are pulled from eBay since it’s sold elsewhere.

THOR

I bought it off eBay. I had some chats with the seller before I finally pulled the trigger - and he listed it on eBay after it was offered to me directly and I decided that it was too stupid not to buy this.

I never saw the eBay ad, but as far as I know the first owner is Christopher Ingleheart, the seller got lucky and picked it up and sold it to me. Since it’s Deerhead equipped I would think Chris upgraded it quite soon after he got it ans it looks like the parts that’s there was there for a long time.

I’m going to rebuild it and make it 1982 again, so I’m expecting a great riding, but rather crude, bike. I have/had 4 1983s ans will think this feels like a more primitive one. Time will show.
Cool. Congrats mate ! Looking forward to seeing the progress.
I have an early 83 so I always look to see what other early original Fats surface & what they have on them. I know it was a hodge podge mix of components that went on them back then.
Love to talk more with you on your past/current 83's.
Shoot me a message if so inclined.

AB

Very cool bikes ... Thor is a good guy and another true FAT fan. The early bikes ride really nice from what I know. Not the best performance, but quality rides all the same ... enjoy !

Jalapeno

That’s an impressive collection. Viewing the anodized rims gives me the same sensation as biting into a fresh chocolate brownie.

h1v9a8c8

I just had a very clean and original early fat chance still have all the parts. 6 speed wheelset derailleurs shifters brakes and crank. you are more than welcome to have them if you can use them

Haaland

I'd love to - I'm sending you a PM.

The #8339 and #8393 doesn't have these shims actually. They are 26.0 og 26.2 (can't remember right now). It was actually Ron Andrews (of King Cage) that made these early seat post shims he told.

Haaland

And here is the shims. The one on the blue was painted together with the frameset

Attachments

• IMG_0364.jpeg
    IMG_0364.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • Skjermbilde 2021-07-23 kl. 14.42.34.png
    Skjermbilde 2021-07-23 kl. 14.42.34.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 6

THOR

Thanks for those close up pics. I'd say 1/2 of the 83's I have seen in person (10 or 12 total) have the shim.
So I guess they all came with it but over the years were lost or changed to the larger diameter posts for strength. I would think the shim would allow posts to slip occasionally + make changing heights on the fly much harder, but it would also strengthen the collar & possibly lessen the keyhole from fatiguing & getting any stress cracks ?
How long ago did Ron make yours? I need one.

Last edited:

Haaland

Ron made mine in 83 - he worked part time at Fat when he was a student at MIT.

This #836 doesn't have the shim either. If every Fat in 83 had these or not I', not sure, but it seems like that the ones on mine are original. I always assumed that the ones without the shim was the one that didn't need the longer BMX posts. The others are probably road posts - they are shorter than the SR Laprade BMX posts.

836 here: https://www.oldschoolracing.ch/mountainbike/1983-fat-chance-836/

I-ROBOT

Beautiful Bikes!
Before my time obviously, I was running around Seabrook Station while it was under construction during those years. So glad I answered a little blind ad in the Boston Globe looking for a tubing welder in late 1986. I passed the audition 😆