Aqua fade Wicked Lite

Stingercut

Looks like an 18” Saratoga WL to me (later dropouts) with a sloping TT. Mines a sus corrected last ed Somerville made 19.5” WL.87849825-814F-4D89-8001-D0BA01C965CC.jpeg

colker

Most obvious answer is .... it's a custom build. A repaint wouldn't explain the serial number.

Since most serial numbers have some logic to them I would assume the 51 = the size in centimeters which would be an easy check for you. Nice frame regardless and if it's your size build it, ride it and enjoy it.
I have never seen a Fat Chance MTB size listed in cm.

rthomer

I now own the bike, bought it from the original poster as a complete bike with full XTR M900 and a Mag 21. There's a few odd details about it, like the 29.4 seat post which isn't to Wicked Lite spec.

The serial # is CC 17 1051. And I believe the 17 is the size, center of bottom bracket to center of top tube measures 17".
There's something else odd about the tube sizes and measurements but can't remember, I'll have to remeasure them and will post, I'd love some opinions.
The chain stays are symmetrical, so it's not a repainted YO, maybe a shop bike? No clue here. The paint looks very original.

I had Chris Igleheart fabricate a suspension corrected segmented fork and Rick at D&D painted it to match the color, which he nailed.

Here's an oldish pic of the bike after I installed the fork. The wheels I borrowed from my Ibis Mojo, the cockpit has changed since this pic, I'm still playing with the fit, still has too many spacers, and trying some flat bars. The XTR wheels are back on it but not in this pic.

Most importantly, it rides GREAT. Thanks!

WL Fat.jpeg

Last edited:

colker

WOW!!!! Beyond the valley of the awesome! Custom wicked. Care to measure top tube and wheelbase for me? It´s susp corrected. Top tube looks fatter than the usual Wicked. Maybe CC means Chris Chance personal bike? He rides a medium ti.

rthomer

Thanks! Good eye on the top tube, I thought there was something else odd about the tube size.

Here's some measurements:
Top Tube = 1-1/4" diameter
Down Tube = 1-3/8" diameter
Seat Post = 29.4mm
Seat Tube C to C = 17"
Seat Tube C of BB to Top of TT = 17-1/2"
Effective TT = 22 - 1/8" +/-
Wheelbase = 41-1/8" +/-

None of the above match up with specs I find for Wicked Lites. Maybe it's a custom, with it being closest to an 18" Wicked Lite, with an altered seat tube measurement of 17-1/2". Tubing diameters appear to be YO measurements.

As far as what the CC stands for, 'Chris Chance' maybe wishful thinking. Perhaps for some custom designation.

Opinions are welcome.

Thanks!

colker

Thank you for the numbers. Wicked seatstays are slim, smaller diameter than chainstays. I read somewhere Yos have the same diameter tubing for seat and chainstays which give a stiffer rear triangle w/ better rim braking. Your bike seems like a Wicked w/ fat, stiff tubing and that´s awesome.

TTMT

I agree your bike seems to be a hybrid of a Yo and a Wicked, which is awesome. Have you ever ridden or owned a Yo? How does the ride compare if yes? Bought my Yo in 91 and still love it, snappy stiff and fast, but somedays I would like a Yo that is 5 to 10 % less of an all in Yo. To top it off you detail it with a Chris Ingleheart fork on it. That is really cool, nicely done.

AB

Only suggestions I have are to source a decent roller stem, figure out your steerer tube length and cut appropriately. Nothing wrong with the Salsa stem just my opinion. An interesting bike ... Happy riding.

rthomer

Thanks for all the comments!

Thank you for the numbers. Wicked seatstays are slim, smaller diameter than chainstays. I read somewhere Yos have the same diameter tubing for seat and chainstays which give a stiffer rear triangle w/ better rim braking. Your bike seems like a Wicked w/ fat, stiff tubing and that´s awesome.
I think you're right about the chain stays and seat stays on Wicked Lites, I believe they have a smaller diameter. Wicked Lites were designed to be more forgiving and with a slightly a longer wheelbase than the YO's. The one I had rode like it was on a rail, and soaked up the chatter with the factory fork.
I agree your bike seems to be a hybrid of a Yo and a Wicked, which is awesome. Have you ever ridden or owned a Yo? How does the ride compare if yes? Bought my Yo in 91 and still love it, snappy stiff and fast, but somedays I would like a Yo that is 5 to 10 % less of an all in Yo. To top it off you detail it with a Chris Ingleheart fork on it. That is really cool, nicely done.
I don't have a YO, and haven't ridden one extensively; I have a Monster and HAD another Wicked Lite (picture in Avatar) that's now in my brother's possession, and this one definitely rides different than my other Wicked Lite. This one feels more planted, stiffer and "snappier" as you say. Honestly, it reminds me more of my Ibis Mojo, which might be a tad more forgiving. All fantastic bikes.
Only suggestions I have are to source a decent roller stem, figure out your steerer tube length and cut appropriately. Nothing wrong with the Salsa stem just my opinion. An interesting bike ... Happy riding.
A roller stem would be great, but this is a threadless stem. I'm trying a Monkey Lite riser bar on it now which helps the fit; I removed about 10mm of steerer. Don't want to lower it anymore for the moment. Thanks for your comments.