Fat BOI Fork Variation

radnretro

I am curious to learn about fork variations with the BOI forks. I have seen some with 1" threadless steerers, 1-1/8 steerers and even one without the mini gussets on the back. I am told this was a special order request. Here to learn and fairly new to Fat. Thanks all!

Stingercut

There you go -

OEM original BOI forks are very rare and make $$$s when they come up for sale every few years. Yo forks are more common and fit 92 and earlier Yos which are NOT suspension corrected. Fully rigid FATs being highly desirable now means that many new owners are getting repros made by Igleheart ( Ex FFC ) amongst others ~ $550. The original BOI forks are made from butted tubing and give a lovely lively ride and precision handling. Modern repros tend to use plain gauge tubing and dont ride quite as nice as the originals from my experience.

colker

There you go -

OEM original BOI forks are very rare and make $$$s when they come up for sale every few years. Yo forks are more common and fit 92 and earlier Yos which are NOT suspension corrected. Fully rigid FATs being highly desirable now means that many new owners are getting repros made by Igleheart ( Ex FFC ) amongst others ~ $550. The original BOI forks are made from butted tubing and give a lovely lively ride and precision handling. Modern repros tend to use plain gauge tubing and dont ride quite as nice as the originals from my experience.
It could be repro down to DB tubing and whatever any other detail you want. If not by Igleheart then look for another builder. Costly? Yes... but it won´t need to be replaced eventually unlike expensive susp forks or unavailable 26in rims and tires. Anything steel frame wise can be repro.

I-ROBOT

Our pal Stinger has summed things up pretty well here. I wish I had more knowledge of forks but I wasn't involved much in the daily production. I concentrated on frames and welding development of new designs as well as day-to-day administration. The tear-drop gussets were added after some cracking was seen from hard use. The silver brazing heat helped to provide some stress relief to the critical weld joints holding the strut tubes to the fork legs. We proved out the design with a home-built fatigue tester which used the same principle as the one we built to test gusset designs of the headtube/downtube joint. Eventually, that's how the double chin (what every fat guy has) gusset came to be. The last incarnation was a laser-cut tube section that had a close fit to the downtube. The early TI bikes had this type of gusset too.
Scott