What made the Team Comps much more expensive? How much better then a Wicked were they? Scott?

I-ROBOT

The Team Comps had Tange Prestige top tubes and down tubes. The down tube was only 1.25" diameter and had really short butt sections at the ends as opposed to the True Temper down tube which was 1.375" diameter, had longer butt sections and was seam welded. I believe the Tange tubes were seamless drawn, but not 100% sure now. The seat stays and possibly the chainstays were made from straight gauge 0.028" wall Dillsburg aircraft tubing as opposed to the heavier True Temper butted tubing. The icing on the cake was the GPWilson 17-4 PH Stainless Steel cast dropouts. All TCs had them. It is the surest way to tell if the frame is a TC. GPW's could be added on a custom frame but they were few and far between, if any at all.

Team Comps also had box crown forks standard and those box crowns all had Columbus rifled tube steerer tubes and Tange Prestige road bike fork tubes. I don't remember if box crowns had any other type of steerer tubes, its possible that they all had the Columbus ones, but again not completely sure. The TC box crowns either had Campy dropouts or GPW stainless dropouts.

I think the seat tubes were standard FCC True Temper.

I believe I welded all of the TC frames that were produced from 1987 on until they were discontinued in favor of the Yo Eddy

I-ROBOT

I guess that being better than a Wicked would be a matter of a rider's opinion. The super light TC might have been too whippy for a heavier rider. As the shop fat guy, that was never a problem for me!!

The TCs were aimed at the pro class racer and those who wanted to spend the high end money to have whatever top of the line thing that was in vogue then.

Kinda like comparing a Porsche to a Ferrari

colker

I guess that being better than a Wicked would be a matter of a rider's opinion. The super light TC might have been too whippy for a heavier rider. As the shop fat guy, that was never a problem for me!!

The TCs were aimed at the pro class racer and those who wanted to spend the high end money to have whatever top of the line thing that was in vogue then.

Kinda like comparing a Porsche to a Ferrari
And then i read the official catalogue/brochure on the wicked lite saying it was the lightest fat chance ever built. Confusing.

I-ROBOT

And then i read the official catalogue/brochure on the wicked lite saying it was the lightest fat chance ever built. Confusing.
Brochures are rarely ever 100% truthful. The average buyer probably wouldn't have a scale to weigh their frame to the exact gram. I'm sure the Lites were at least close to the TCs in weight but probably not lighter given identical frame sizes. But the difference would have been very small

colker

Brochures are rarely ever 100% truthful. The average buyer probably wouldn't have a scale to weigh their frame to the exact gram. I'm sure the Lites were at least close to the TCs in weight but probably not lighter given identical frame sizes. But the difference would have been very small
Do the Lites have a different tubeset from the original Wicked? Tubing diameters seem very similar but maybe butting etc.. I know a threaded BB will be lighter than a pressed fit if weighted w/ bearing and axle;)

Last edited:

Stingercut

And then i read the official catalogue/brochure on the wicked lite saying it was the lightest fat chance ever built.
Yes, 100%.

;)
Easy !!! 😀 I have both a TC & WL in 19.5” 😉 and the TC is still top of the totem pole for all round handling and ‘feel’ but the WL is still a wonderful comfy ride. A 10th Anni only recently got the nod as a straight-up great rider from a highly respected guru of retro bikes. Various models have different ride characteristics all carefully fabricated to be that way. It goes without saying IROBOT and the ex Somerville crew are pretty legendary. Not tried the new FATs yet but the ride reviews mostly from a younger gen seem to follow the same levels of appreciation as the originals.

Easy !!! 😀 I have both a TC & WL in 19.5” 😉 and the TC is still top of the totem pole for all round handling and ‘feel’ but the WL is still a wonderful comfy ride. A 10th Anni only recently got the nod as a straight-up great rider from a highly respected guru of retro bikes. Various models have different ride characteristics all carefully fabricated to be that way. It goes without saying IROBOT and the ex Somerville crew are pretty legendary. Not tried the new FATs yet but the ride reviews mostly from a younger gen seem to follow the same levels of appreciation as the originals.
In my mind at least! And while I saw firsthand the appeal of the TC & WL, they were far from the average high-end build and a very specific segment. I'm a smooth rider, although I am big and do take risks. The lighter tubing draws and thinner walls were never in my radar. I can't tell you how many buckled HT/DT/TT junctures I've seen.

I am still blown away how light my Wicked is compared to a modern rigid.

colker

In my mind at least! And while I saw firsthand the appeal of the TC & WL, they were far from the average high-end build and a very specific segment. I'm a smooth rider, although I am big and do take risks. The lighter tubing draws and thinner walls were never in my radar. I can't tell you how many buckled HT/DT/TT junctures I've seen.

I am still blown away how light my Wicked is compared to a modern rigid.
The WL is basically a wicked w/ threaded BB. Tubing is marginally lighter, a sort of heat treated true temper. Otoh i never saw a buckled team comp and those were ridden hard.

Stingercut

I have hammered my 89 TC and I mean properly hammered it, not so much at my age now alas. Its been flat landed from ~ 6ft jumps hundreds of times, toured around EU/Ireland/UK, once rode ~ 220miles in 24hrs on it, incl ~ 45 off road all on knobbly tyres ! and its still perfectly straight, no dents, rust etc. Never once let me down. Lots of patina oc and id love to repaint it sunset fade but its like an old friend. It was 24lbs back then which was light and the components were reliable. It also gently hums when I ride it on road even on slicks, so its not the nobbly tyres. I suspect the frame has reached it resonant frequency.The WL has the same geometry and hubs and doesn't hum. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I just love the TC.

I-ROBOT

Clarification: My comment on buckled HT/DT/TT junctures was generally directed at lightweight tubing of the era, not specifically the TC & WL.
It's likely that some of the early welded FATs of any type had a small handful of buckled downtubes and/or cracked welds at the DT / HT junction. I remember replacing some downtubes under warranty for that reason. Ron Andrews created and built the fatigue tester that we used when we were developing gusset plate designs. We found that the average ungusseted HT/DT junction would last about 10K cycles before either weld failure in the HAZ of the weld or buckling of the DT at the weld. Once we finalized the "double-chin" gusset design (named by yours truly by the way), we found that the same DT/HT combos would last 50K cycles or more before any type of failure.
Any frame that came in for a repair of the DT/HT would be gusseted after that.
Scott

I-ROBOT

As always, I really appreciate all the kind words you guys have to say. Still makes me smile.
Look for a FOR SALE ad later this week. I have decided that it's time to put my 18" custom Wicked up for sale. I will have full details, parts lists and photos. If anyone of you are interested, PM me
Thanks
Scott

As always, I really appreciate all the kind words you guys have to say. Still makes me smile.
Look for a FOR SALE ad later this week. I have decided that it's time to put my 18" custom Wicked up for sale. I will have full details, parts lists and photos. If anyone of you are interested, PM me
Thanks
Scott
Scott - I worked at Mark's Bike Shop in VA during the late 80's. We sold every manner of high-end MTB, wheels, etc. I really tried to like other brands, but Fat City was the only ride that resonated with me. Legend.

Last edited: