Pinhole in BB shell joint

ozcanuck

I am attempting to revive my 89 Wicked and after sandblasting and powdercoat ( unfortunately), I see a small pin hole in the joint where the BB shell joins the downtube. There was some rust inside the shell which I removed, but obviously did not see this.
The bike will be used mainly for mellow cruising around town ( I am 67!), so I'm wondering if it needs welding or just patch with epoxy?
I can get a pic up later.

I-ROBOT

Somehow I sensed the page! hahaha

Since you've gone to the trouble of blasting and powder coating, the cheapest fix is to patch with a drop of epoxy. If there is no obvious corrosion around the pinhole, then it will not be that likely to grow any further. Make sure the bike is wiped clean and dry after each ride in wet conditions.

Rusting inside the shell is not uncommon since the crank bearings cannot possibly keep out every last bit of moisture.

Good luck with the build!
Post some shots when you can
Scott

colker

Follow I robot´s instructions: patch it w/ epoxy. I would do it from inside (if possible) and outside. Then forget about it. Build and ride it as hard as you can. Bicycles are Life! As such they are imperfect too.
Btw... love that color. Black or silver decals will look lovely there.

ozcanuck

Thanks for your responses, that's a load off my mind. Epoxy it is.
Will start putting it back together and post some pix when done.
I think I'm going with black decals.......
Fat Cogs is a great resource!
Cheers!!!!

ozcanuck

Tokyobike Promenade bar which I think is similar, if not the same, as the Velo Orange model. From Treadley in Adelaide, a great shop.

Last edited: